I have committed to ensuring that my business and its activities have as little impact on the environment as possible. I have signed the "Green Pledge" of the World Mediator's Alliance on Climate Change. The formal pledge is below and a link to the website of WMACC. I have also used the carbon footprint calculator on the Climate Impact Partners website (again please see link below) to calculate and pay the appropriate carbon offset.
Annual reviews of the Green Pledge that I have undertaken are here:
The Green Pledge
As a mediator committed to ensuring that I minimise the impact on the environment of every mediation I am involved in, I will ensure that, wherever possible:
- If screen sharing/video technology is appropriate, accessible and acceptable to all concerned, I will encourage its use in all aspects of my mediation practice;
- At all times during the mediation process, I will consider the most environmentally friendly way to travel if travel is necessary;
- I will offset the carbon emissions of any flights I make to and from mediations while recognising that this is not in any way a substitute for avoiding flying and will only fly when it is necessary to do so;
- At all times during the mediation process I will only correspond through electronic means, unless hard copy correspondence is expressly required in the circumstances, while recognising that electronic communication itself is carbon emitting and should be limited to what is necessary;
- I will not request hard copies of documents to be provided to me unless there is a special need to do so and I will discourage the use of hard copy documents generally;
- I will encourage parties and their advisers to consider the necessity of participants attending mediation in person if that attendance involves significant travel and is not necessary;
- Wherever possible, I will encourage parties and their advisers to consider the most environmentally friendly venue for their mediation. At mediation venues, in rooms in which I am mediating I will encourage, wherever possible, an environmentally friendly approach to the use of consumables (for example the avoidance of single-use plastic) and the use of energy (for example reviewing the level of air conditioning and heating);
- I will consider the appropriateness of travelling to, and my mode of travel to and from, conferences and other events and wherever possible will encourage and use live streaming/remote participation options;
- I will take steps to reduce the environmental impact of my office/workplace; and
- I will seek to raise awareness of this pledge, for example by referring to it on my website and/or email footer.